Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Wait no more. ‘Waitress’ and Sara Bareilles’ music come to Segerstrom Center for the Arts

Posted by Irvine Sign Company

Posted by Irvine Business Sign Company

When Sara Bareilles was a little girl growing up in Eureka, she used to sing songs from Broadway musicals around the house. Today, she still sings songs, often her own, whether from her 2007 album “Little Voice” or a number from her Tony-nominated score (words and music) for the Broadway hit “Waitress,” which makes its way to Segerstrom Center for the Arts Nov. 13-25.

Directed by Tony winner Diane Paulus (“Pippin”) with a book by screenwriter Jessie Nelson, the irresistible musical is touring with Christine Dwyer playing the small-town waitress with a baby in the oven, a brutish husband and a song in her heart. Jessie Mueller originated the role, which Bareilles herself later played on Broadway.

Bareilles talked to Coast about getting a Tony nomination for her first musical score, as well as her Emmy nomination for playing Mary Magdalene in NBC’s acclaimed “Jesus Christ Superstar Live.”

COAST: How difficult was it to go from being a songwriter to scoring a musical?

SARA BAREILLES: My mom always uses this phrase, “If you’re going to eat an elephant, it’s just one bite at a time.” It was really important to stay with your head down and focus. Otherwise it felt sort of impossible. The first song I wrote for the show is a song called “She Used To Be Mine.” It’s pretty late in the show and kind of the most dramatic moment for our lead character. The last song I wrote for the show was our opening number, so it was a long meandering adventure of writing.

COAST: What can Orange County fans expect with Christine Dwyer taking over the role from Jessie Mueller?

SB: Christine Dwyer is an incredible talent. She’s been on our radar for a long time. We’re in all the casting sessions for these shows, so we’ve seen her do this material, which is why she got the job. People may have seen her when she toured in “Wicked”; she was Elphaba. She has definitely handled heavyweight roles in the past, and she’s been a part of our family at “Waitress” for a long time. She’s engaged to one of our company members of our Broadway cast. We like to keep it in the family.

COAST: Where were you when you learned you were nominated for a Tony?

SB: I think I was at home. It was incredible. On the one hand, the show has been the thing in my career that I’m most proud of. I worked harder and longer on this show than my entire pop career combined. I had no idea when I said yes to this production that it would absolutely hijack my entire life. It’s exclusively what I’ve been doing for the past five years. It was such a huge undertaking and also the show means so much to me. I really drank the Kool-Aid. I love it, I believe in it, I believe that storytelling is important. I love the people who come out and work for and on the show. So, to get an acknowledgment for my contribution was a spectacular moment. It was also an exciting year in the theater. “Hamilton” was nominated for everything, so there was a lot of buzz and excitement around the theater community in a way that felt fresh and unique.

COAST: What about the Emmy nomination?

SB: To have that happen for singing Mary Magdalene in “Jesus Christ Superstar,” I grew up listening to that show in particular but also so many of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musicals. So, the whole project felt like an absolute dream come true. I felt like my time in “Waitress” had prepared me for this in such a deep way. It was one of those pinch-me moments.

COAST: Do you have future Broadway plans?

SB: Nothing at the moment. We’re about to launch our London production and we have an Australian production that will be launched next year. But I think down the road I would want to come back either with another show or work on stage on something. I have been so amazed by the theater community and I am completely in awe of the kind of work that’s getting done in theater. I hope I get to stay a part of it for as long as they’ll have me.

SEE IT: “Waitress,” Segerstrom Center for the Arts, 600 Town Center Drive, Costa Mesa; Nov. 13-25, $29-$119 :: scfta.org

 

 

 


[Read More ...]

Posted by Irvine Sign Maker

For Free Sign Estimate Visit: Lighted Channel Letters Irvine ca

Posted by https://goo.gl/TXzGV5

No comments:

Post a Comment